- What is Open Floor?
- Find an Open Floor
- Learn to Teach
- About Us
Movement Teacher Track
|Therapy in Motion Track|
The Movement Teacher Track is for those who dream of teaching others to discover the joy and healing that they themselves have found on the dance floor. This track is also geared for those who want to integrate movement practice into their current profession, e.g., education, recovery, women's groups, teen services, corporate groups, support groups, etc.Personal experience in a variety of embodied movement practices (yoga, Aikido, conscious dance, etc.) is required to join this program
The Therapy in Motion Track is open to movement, art, drama and music therapists, psychologists, social workers, psychiatrists and mental health counselors from a variety of backgrounds.
The program is for experienced therapists who want to integrate movement and dance into therapy (individual and/or small group) settings.A key prerequisite for the Therapy in Motion track is a Masters level graduate degree with at least three years or 300 hours of supervised experience.
1) Attend a Ground Floor Lab. This gives you a chance to tour our curriculum, ask questions about the practice and the training, and meet some members of the faculty. You are welcome to apply if you haven't taken a lab yet, but you must be registered for one before we can review your application.
2) At least 125 hours of Open Floor Movement study including:
- PLUS -
3) An additional 200 hours’ study in Open Floor or any other accepted embodiment modality (see list), for a total minimum of 325 hours of movement study.
4) 30 hours mindfulness training and/or practice (see list)
5) 3 teacher references (at least two must be in the movement/embodiment arts)
6) Strongly recommended but not required: Study in emotional intelligence, authentic communication, conflict resolution, cultivation of compassion/forgiveness, etc.
Additional prerequisite for Therapy in Motion applicants:
Movement Teacher Track
All Modules are 10 days
Therapy in Motion Track
Note: Therapy in Motion students are welcome to attend a Common Sense workshop at additional cost.
12-15 hours (includes private and group sessions with a designated mentor)
$7500 (includes 3 Core Modules, all manuals and materials, mentoring sessions)
Room and board costs paid separately.
Also required are 6 additional days of Open Floor study, planned with your mentor according to your skills and interests. While teachers' fees vary, plan for an additional $75-125/day for Electives